By Ellen Sullivan, RN, BSN, MSA
A fun summertime day or plans to get that yard work done can quickly fade away when a bee or wasp shows up on the scene and someone gets stung!
Most stings from bees or wasps typically don't require medical attention although may cause discomfort. However, there are times when a person who has been stung does need medical attention and sometimes immediate action to help prevent shock or in some cases death. When in doubt call a healthcare provider, visit an urgent care center, or go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.
Here is what medical experts such as WebMD suggest to do following a sting:
Remove the Stinger .
Scrape the area with a fingernail or use tweezers to remove it. Don't pinch the stinger -- that can inject more venom.
Ice the area.If you were stung on your arm or